Have I ever mentioned that Landon learned to whistle when he was 4? He wanted to whistle so badly. For weeks he practiced and practiced until it finally came and he has been whistling ever since. Before this Carson had wanted to whistle but he doesn't have the sticktoitiveness of Landon and didn't really work hard at it until he realized his little brother could do something he couldn't. So a few weeks after Landon-Carson finally learned how to whistle. Now I randomly hear whistling during all hours of the day. I love it.
Carson is doing very well with reading and spelling. He's currently reading on a 4th grade level-although his comprehension isn't up there so his teacher makes his stick to book lower than 4th grade. His spelling is fantastic. It's rare that he doesn't get 100% on his spelling tests, and really the day he brings his list home he already knows how to spell the words so all we do is a quick review most afternoons. Math he has struggled with, but I think it's because they've been doing story problems and his mind just doesn't think like that, but neither does mine. I struggled with story problems through high school so it's doesn't surprise me. What did surprise me was that he brought home double digit subtraction last week where he had to borrow and he caught on so quickly. Makes me breathe a little easier. He still sweet and cute, but he's learned a lot from school to where we've had plenty of talks on what is and is not appropriate. He's such a good kid and genuinely wants to make people happy, almost to a fault. I love having him around and talking with him about who has a crush on who and who said what bad things at school. He's so into the social scene.
Landon loves preschool, especially teacher Lexi. I love Landon's personality, but it seems that people either adore him or they get annoyed by him and teacher Lexi loves him. At first I was hesitant about sending him to a pre-school run by high school kids, because heck, I took that class 14 years ago and we weren't super organized, but he has a great time! He's so bright and independent, he loves to be a goof, he reminds me so much of me, and he just does his own thing and marches to the beat of his own drum. Landon is unbelievably social and doesn't hesitate to talk to anyone about anything. Really, his talking is nonstop and while sometimes I tell him he needs to stop for awhile, I just adore him. He seems to have a math brain because he is catching on so quickly I'm shocked, but only time will tell. Reading he's doing pretty well, but I sure don't work with him as much as Carson. Before Christmas break he would read me book after book and was doing very well, but we haven't done anything since. I think we'll jump back on board Monday. He is ready for preschool, but I imagine he teacher will have a tough time getting him to sit quietly.
One thing we've noticed over the past couple years is that our boys do not like change of any sort. They don't like new cars, they don't like new furniture, they just don't like things to change. My dad put in new counter tops for us last week and the boys are not thrilled about it. Landon especially wants our old counters back. It's not a big deal, and he only mentioned he wishes we didn't have new counters when I asked him if he likes the new ones, but they both really like things to stay the same. I asked Landon if he wanted to move to a bigger house with a pool just to see what he'd say, and he was very clear he wants to stay in our house but when he's a grown up he'll build me a pool with a waterfall.
I think they get this from me. While I like to change up the furniture and paint in our house, I really like things to stay familiar. I like my neighbors to stay the same, I like my house to stay the same, I just like predictability. Sounds a little boring, but we enjoy life plenty without dramatic changes.
Our next big step is to have the talk with Carson. He's been asking a lot of question lately so we're going to sit him down and have a big Q&A session led by him. We'll answer his questions but won't give him more than he needs to know at this point. Open communication is the ticket. The boys come to me about everything-even things I think they'd be embarrassed about, and I really want them to always come to me. HA! We'll see how comfortable they feel talking to me when they're 16 and dating. Oh, heaven help us...
No comments:
Post a Comment