We had a very productive weekend. John got the closet ripped out of the back room, framed it up, insulated it, hung the sheet rock and hung the door. The temperature difference in there is night and day. In the winter if the door was closed it was like a refrigerator when we opened the door, and no joke, the closet was like a freezer. It is the coldest bedroom, and something had to be done. Not to mention the closet in the middle of the wall was a complete waste of space. If you look at the marks on the ceiling and the patches of wood in the floor you can see where the closet used to be. Today John will tape it out and all the sheet rock/ mudding should be done by Saturday at the latest. YAY! He also cut holes for shelves in the wall. Since we're cloth diapering we just have a lot of related "stuff" and I want easy access without having to reach into his changer constantly for what I need.
It was also Gina's birthday so I made the yummiest cake. Vanilla cake (used store bought since I didn't have much time and this was the lousiest part, wish I would've had the time to make it from scratch) with lemon curd filling, and lemon Italian Meringue Butter cream icing. I haven't made Italian Meringue since my school days. In fact I remember the first time ever making it and screwing it up when sugar crystals formed. But oh, it was the smoothest icing ever. Time consuming, but well worth it. It was most definitely a much needed change from traditional butter cream.
I spent the day mostly hanging out while John worked. He needed me to sink screws every now and then or hold up some wood while he cut it, but for the most part I was there for moral support and it was actually fun. I loved watching him do his thing. What a change from when we were initially remodeling the house, if he had the knowledge then that he has now....love a man who's handy around the house.
Saturday is typically our dedicated family day and when John left for work early this morning, Landon was quietly crying on my floor (nightmare) since he didn't get to spend much time with John this weekend. Broke John's heart since his family is his #1 priority and really, the boys expect to spend the entire day with us on Saturday. This'll be done soon and we'll settle in to a new routine and whole new normal once Jameson arrives. Now, I need to do a separate post one day on our family dynamic since it already seems to be changing.
No comments:
Post a Comment