Thursday, November 14, 2013

Veteran's Day Program 11/8/13

American Prep puts on a huge Veteran's Day program every year. Like I've said before, this school is very patriotic and they feel it is important to teach the children to honor our veteran's. The kids have worked so hard for this day for quite awhile. Parent's are actually not even invited/allowed to attend unless they are accompanying a veteran. They sent home nice invites for the boys to pass out and although they wanted to invite their great-grandfather, I wasn't sure how the logistics would work actually getting him to the school. Thankfully it was worked out with my mom and he was able to come. I was worried about parking since it is scarce and he cannot park in the field and walk. But they thought ahead and made all faculty and non-veterans park in the field so the vets could have the parking stalls.
I'm still upset that I didn't stand back and take a picture of the school since the driveways and walkways were lined with dozens of flags. They had the older students positioned around the school thanking the veteran's for their service as they passed by, which was a nice touch.
A nice little breakfast was provided in the decorated multi-purpose room, while some talented students played patriotic songs on their instruments. After the breakfast we headed down to the gym while the students and staff cheered for them as they filed in.
Now, my grandpa is 92 next month and has attended countless Veteran's Day programs, but he said this was the best. Like many elderly he doesn't say things he doesn't mean, and everything was so wonderful that I'm inclined to believe him.
We began with the pledge and the first and fourth verses of the Star Spangled Banner as the kids do every morning. I opened my grandpa's program and told him he'd need it since they sing more than the first verse. He told me he knew each of the verses and didn't need help. After singing he said "Now, that was the first and fourth verse." He may be old but his mind is still there.
Each grade had songs they had practiced, as well as songs sung by the entire school, and songs the visitor's were invited to join in on. The essay winner's read their essay's and the school director's gave speeches. The 4th grade did something special, they sang the anthem from each of the five branches of the military. When a veteran's anthem came up they stood to represent their branch. It was fun to see which branch each veteran served in, as well as the age range of those in attendance.
The school gave special recognition for the (very) small handful of WWII vets, including my grandpa. They read the name of each veteran, which branch they served with, and which war they fought in, or if they served in a time of peace. They were handed a note written by a student with a pin that read 'Honored Veteran 2013 American Preparatory Academy'.  Several times I glanced over at my grandpa and I could see he was visibly touched by what was said and/or sung. I'm so glad he was able to come.
Now my grandpa was in the Marine's and fought in the Battle of Iwo Jima. It was so horrific he just doesn't share much about it. Well, on the way to the car he gave me a little gem. He was off the shore of Iwo Jima on his ship and couldn't even see the island due to the smoke and dust from the battle. The only thing he could see was the American flag flying on top of Mount Suribachi.
It was an incredible program and there is nothing they could have said or done to impress me more than I was. What a fantastic program, what a fantastic school. This is day I will remember forever.
My little Landon is in this picture, although no one else would be able to pick him out. He was even on Fox news while he sang.

Carson is in this picture. When we walked into the gym he ran over and hugged my grandpa. I think he got a kick out of it since he mentioned Carson hugging him afterward.





No comments: