Overall I'm quite happy with Carson's report card. The spelling grade I'm not thrilled with ONLY because spelling is a strong subject of his and the last week of term I saw his homework he'd been recycling at school rather than bringing home. He would only finish it halfway or would slop his way through to the point it was barely legible. Pure laziness earned him that C+ and I was clear that I expect better from him. I'm happy with his math, definitely an improvement. His reading I'm also satisfied with. He's required to write a daily paragraph in reading, which he's had a hard time with. He hasn't had much writing experience and to suddenly be expected to write on a sixth grade level was tough, but he's improved so much. His comprehension is awesome. Last year he did terrible with comprehension, but I didn't worry since I knew the stories were so boring they didn't grab his attention and thankfully he has proven me right.
I've definitely noticed some gaps with putting him in a new school. For instance here they are taught cursive from Kindy rather than print. Well, C didn't begin learning cursive until third grade and now that's he's in fourth at apa they assume/expect that he knows all his letters. It's interesting to watch him write since he does cursive completely wrong although it turns out looking about like it should. Guess he's getting by since he earned a A in writing.
Landon I'm also very happy with...but he was devastated. I hadn't realized he'd moved into spelling, so I never helped him study, which earned him a B. His writing grade also dropped to an A, no biggie. He saw his grades and exclaimed "I don't understand why I'm getting such bad grades!" He then buried his face in his hands and began sobbing. Is that a good thing? I'm glad he's a high achiever, but let's be realistic here. This is a great report card. Landon's learned some priceless organization skills this year and I can't stop wishing Carson had gotten accepted years ago when I first put his name on the list. Math is definitely getting a bit tougher for Landon, but he picks it up so quick. His homework is getting pretty crazy now, which really is getting old. Give the kids more time to work in class guys because as a parent I'm tired of spending hours on homework each day.
Way to go boys, I'm proud of you!


No comments:
Post a Comment