Last summer we certainly didn't get in as much camping as we would have liked, and ever since the first snowflakes fell we have been dying to get back out in the fresh air. As Spring approached I decided to make reservations at Zion's. Weeelll, I didn't make them soon enough. I was aiming for April, but the only available dates were in March so I snatched them up. We also called a couple old friends to join us with their kids, and are so glad we did. The more the merrier
Friday we hiked up Hidden Canyon, had ice cream and Cokes at the lodge, then let the boys swim in the river. Jameson didn't like it so much, but it was slow and fairly shallow with a sandy beach, and only a couple hundred feet from out camping spot. It was perfect, except the boys saw no reason why they couldn't play alone in the river while we fiddled around camp since it wasn't that deep. I don't like all the independence they are fighting for. I'm happy to give in some areas, but water is not one I'm willing to budge on yet.
Saturday we drove through the Zion-Mount Carmel Tunnel since it's something everyone needs to experience at least once. We then hiked to the overlook where I was pretty sure we would lose a kid or two before making it back to the cars, but thankfully the kids were more confident they'd be safe than the adults and we finished the hike with the same number we'd started with. We then walked up to the Temple of Sinawava, which was definitely not adventurous enough for the kids, and really it was too chilly to hike up the river once we'd reached the end so I don't blame them for being a little bored. We had some tougher hikes in mind, but with so many adventurous kids in tow we decided to play it safe. The boys are such great hikers and while fun, they make me super nervous. They are almost too confident in their ability to stay on the rocks. Thankfully they had some great Columbia hiking shoes we bought before heading to St. George awhile ago. Saved them several times over since the sand on sandstone is like climbing on ice. It was fun to have to older kids with a calm baby in the pack. Best of both worlds. It feels strange since I remember toting both Carson and Landon around and now they're running ahead looking for new adventures, while we're happy to take in the scenery and coax smiles out of Jameson. Our kids are definitely in opposite stages of growing up. Fun, but a little crazy.
Saturday afternoon Jameson and I stayed behind to cook ribs for my parent's who were driving over from St.George for dinner, while everyone else hiked Emerald Pools. It was so peaceful and quiet staying behind. Jameson napped while I read in my chair and enjoyed the view. Perfect afternoon until I realized John was supposed to meet my parent's at the visitor's center to drive my them in so they wouldn't have to pay $20 for a two hour visit, and I'd accidentally sent both phone's with John so I was stranded. Oops! I loaded Jameson in the stroller and we took a nice walk down the highway to the visitor's center to let them know I hadn't forgotten them. Good times.
Our camp spot had the most beautiful views all around and I would've been perfectly content to sit in my chair with a book and just enjoy the view. I think next year I'll reserve early for end of April and we'll stay a few more days. Three nights just wasn't enough.
Jameson was so happy and content. I was worried how he'd sleep since he likes predictability and his own bed, but by the second day he'd become accustomed to napping in the trailer and he was happy as can be. Of course, he's about the easiest baby ever so his difficult isn't much to complain about.
We are now more anxious than ever for camping this summer. Yesterday John was asking when we were going out again...um, mountains are still covered in snow hon. Hopefully we get out plenty and have tons of fun and make great memories. Carson is ten and I'm predicting in a few years he won't be quite so excited to camp and spend time with us, so I'm enjoying this wonderful stage in life where our kids still look forward to our little adventures, Jameson is a sweet little guy, and life is just calm and peaceful. Oh how I wish life could be this great forever.
 |
| The boys loved hanging onto the chains. |
 |
| Hidden Canyon Hike...these "stairs" were awesome! |
 |
| One minute he was smiling... |
 |
| While the next he had a heartbroken cry. |
|
 |
| Finally calmed him with a bink and blanky. He was so tired. |
 |
| Landon is my daredevil. |
 |
| Jameson was not happy John put his feet in. |
 |
| After the river he took a nap...thought this was so cute with his little arm. |
 |
| Views from my chair. |
 |
| Jameson playing in his GO POD in the morning. |
 |
| Overlook |
 |
| I love seeing my three boys in our family pictures. Makes me happy. |
 |
| Another, happy one minute... |
 |
| Sad the next photo. He was actually scared to sit on the rock alone even though I was right by him. |
 |
| Chillin' in a tree on the side of the road....no biggie. |
|
No comments:
Post a Comment