Saturday, July 30, 2011

My Birthday Camping Trip- June 23-26

I told John that for my birthday I wanted him to take a day off so we could camp from Thursday to Sunday. John informed me he would take care of the cake, which meant a huge Costco cake (yes, for the four of us!) We headed up the Uintas and found a great spot overlooking our pond. The frogs were so loud in the evenings, but we couldn't find a single one. Finally on Friday night Carson came back from the pond and showed me a frog he had found. I looked at the fros then told him I though it was dead. He touched it and it's mouth moved, so I guess I was wrong...even though a big string of slime came off the frog when Carson pulled his finger away. Carson spent the next two hours playing in a puddle with his frog (which WAS dead!) He made it hop around and even put pieces of birthday cake on the ground which he shoved his frog's face into. I walked over and watched him for a few minutes and said "Guess what? I think your frog's dead." Carson looked and pointed sharply at me and said "Guess what? He's s-leeping!" And that was that. He was having a great time and he was  providing entertainment for us. That's the beauty of camping, the boys can be BOYS! Friday morning we drove up to our favorite camping spot to check it out- it was totally flooded. We dressed the boys in their swimsuits so they could play in the water while John and I relaxed on our favorite chairs. My mom and dad came up Friday afternoon and met us at Dick's for dinner. Afterward we helped them set up and ate birthday cake. Saturday morning Francie and Brian came up for the day. Once again we relaxed at our flooded spot and ate and looked for (live) frogs and rode the 4-wheeler and just enjoyed ourselves. We were so sad when Sunday came and it was time to leave. Sunday was my birthday so we took the boys out for Mexican at Chipotle Grill (so yummy!) John had ordered me a Zojirushi bread maker that didn't arrive until Monday. I was thrilled! For years I've made all my own bread but every summer I end up buying bread because it's just too hot. I've played around and have finally developed the perfect recipe that tastes almost like my handmade loaves, and it takes about five minutes to throw the ingredients in and I'm done. So typically I make a loaf every day or every other. I'm happy.
THE cake.




You can still see Landon's burn on the left side of his face. It was deep.


The view from our camp site.





I've said it once and I'll say it again. Landon LOVES this chair!

Helping carry wood.

Landon's crying, probably because Carson hit him with that stick or John yelled at him. Take you pick.




The road into our spot.

Our favorite camping spot.


The roads were all flooded.


These pictures look like a natural lake or pond right? Nope. This area is typically 100% dry, this is all flood water from the snow run off.



I wish that stream was a permanent fixture in this spot.










We ended up chopping the cake in half and leaving half at home. Happy Birthday to ME!

Slightly chilly in the shade, but so beatiful.

We found a river we'd never seen before not too far from our camp site.



My mom.


Sunny watches the boys so closely when we camp. When they leave she's always right with them.

The boys built their own fire pit so John helped them get a little fire started. They were tickled! I was darker than it looks so I had a hard time focusing the camera.

1 comment:

Charley said...

How fun! I can't believe how much water was up there! Were the beavers back in their pond??? I want to go up there again in the fall when the leaves are changing!!!