Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Hmmm....

I can honestly say that I wish I was one of those women with strong maternal instincts toward all children, but to be frank...I'm just not. Depending on the child I can smile and enjoy someone else's child for an hour or two, but as soon as I'm put in charge for extended periods of time my attitude changes. Let's face it, every mom loves her own children, she has a routine, they know the rules, what is and is not acceptable, yada yada yada. When other children are introduced it seems everything goes out the window-after all if other children aren't following the rules , why should my boys? For the most part (at home) my boys are calm and quiet. In fact I had someone stop by a week or two ago and this person was shocked to see my boys sitting together, playing quietly with Legos. She commented on this and how loud her house was. I hated to do it, but I said that this was how it typically was at our house. Peaceful. Not always, but for the most part the boys are well behaved...at home!
Anyway a family (it's a long story how I know them) is in a pinch this week and their normal sitter can't watch their boys, who are the same ages as my boys, so I was begged to help them out by my SIL. I REALLY REALLY REALLY didn't want to do it, but they pay $13 an hour-for BABYSITTING! It would be silly to NOT do it. So I decided to suck it up and just do it because honestly we could always use a little extra money. BUT the situation is totally weird. Let me just say that they have money....LOTS of money, but their house is disgusting and their couch smells so strongly of urine I wanted to die. Plus the dad stays home all day, along with his 25+ year old son. Weird weird. The dad just chooses not to take care of his kids so he pays good money for other people to watch them. There was no way I was staying at their nasty home all day, with two men in the house. As soon as the 4 year old woke up I packed him and Landon in my car and said "I'll see you at six o'clock." And I was outta there. So all day I had another four year old who is a pain in the butt. He doesn't listen worth a damn and called Landon Jerk and Idiot. Now Landon is certainly not innocent. Landon is a well-behaved little boy, until he gets around another loud and crazy child. Plus I had to pick up his older brother, who is seven and have him from 3:30-6 as well. It was just a looong afternoon. To think I have to do it all over again Friday...on SHORT day makes me want to rip my hair out. I had had enough. The worst part? THEY DIDN'T PAY ME when I dropped off their kids. So I called my sister who used to babysit regularly for them and she said she had to ask for a check or she wouldn't get paid. How obnoxious! I HATE asking for money!
Anyway I was asking/venting to John why I don't just love all children and enjoy them. He told me that I like order and quiet. "You taught our kids to be quiet and respectful. Other people haven't taught their kids to behave this way." I guess he's right. I tell you what I have N.E.V.E.R wanted a large family. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing anyone who does have or wants to have a large family, it's just not for me. Just watch, now I'll find myself pregnant with triplets or something. I really wish I had more maternal instincts though. I try, I have good intentions, I guess I'm just too high-strung to deal with lots of children.
Now if it sounds like I'm putting my kids up on a pedestal I'm not. I'm just commenting on the fact that it is difficult for other children to come into my home, who have different parent's and different rules. My kids tend to act the same way their friends are acting and it drives me nuts. Plus I do have days where my boys alone drive me crazy. Okay, that's enough.

No comments: