Tuesday, January 24, 2012

It all began ten years ago today...

Let me start at the beginning. I was the blind date queen and I liked it that way. Blind dates were the best way to go. If I didn't like the guy (and there was always something wrong with him) I could say goodbye at the end of the night and know I wouldn't run into him in day to day life. Anyway, this particular weekend I had a date with John on the 25th and a blind date with guy #2 on Saturday the 26th. I had spent quite a bit of time talking to both of them on the phone and I knew I definitely preferred John. Just by talking on the phone I knew I really liked his personality. The other guy? Not so much. He seemed pretty full of himself and spent too much time talking about how much money he made which is just tacky. Even though I was pretty sure I wouldn't care for guy #2 I figured a date wouldn't hurt, especially if John turned out to be a no go.
John scored big points when he called me Wednesday night and asked if I wanted to go out for shakes on Thursday (the 24th) to get to know each other before our date on Friday. So we set up a time and I spent too much time thinking of what to wear so I'd look great. I still remember when the doorbell rang my mom answered it (yes, at this point I was a loser living at home again) she opened the door then turned and gave me a look that said he wasn't too shabby. I saw him and I was screaming in my head "It's about time I get a hot one!" I had gone out with so many guys and either they had the personality or looks, but never both. This guy had the looks and I knew he had personality from talking with him on the phone for hours. Yes!!!
My heart dropped when we walked to the driveway and I saw he had a beautiful shiny Blazer with leather interior. I thought he had driven his dad's car, which meant I would definitely NOT be going out with him again. I mean, at 22 a guy should own his own car. He told me we'd go to Hire's, which was just a couple minutes away. As we pulled into a parking space I got the nerve and said "So, is this your dad's car?" When he told me it was his I literally had to keep myself from jumping up and down. So far he had the looks, personality and owned his own car. Now I just needed to see if we clicked in person like we had over the phone.
I remember I ordered a Strawberry shake. I don't remember what John ordered, but I do remember that we sat and talked and talked. Our ice cream slowly melted and even after we had slurped up the ice cream juice, we still sat and talked. At one point after we had been sitting for an hour or two my legs started shaking because I realized I really, really liked this guy. He was so good looking; he had the blonde hair, the blue eyes, the height, the body, the athleticism, AND the personality. Conversation just flowed and while we didn't have a whole lot in common, our personalities just meshed so well. When it was finally time to call it a night I was sad to leave him, but I was so excited to go back and tell all the women in my Culinary program about John. In fact our love life became the hot topic for the rest of the year and they were all so excited to be invited to the wedding when we returned to school in the fall.
After our date on Friday I called and cancelled my blind date with guy #2 for Saturday. After two dates I knew I could stop looking for the time being. I had found my wonderful John and I had a good feeling we would have a future. I love you John and every single day I realize how lucky I am to have found someone who loves me as much as you do. Here's to another amazing ten years-I hope they don't pass as quickly as the first ten.

No comments: