Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Homemade Skin Care Products

I'm trying to give my boys the healthiest start in life I can. I'm not perfect. Sometimes we go out for fast food and we buy junk and have a binge night occasionally. But overall I really try. I don't buy many pre-prepared foods, and I try to cook from scratch. They don't like to eat a lot of veggies so I make them huge spinach shakes, which they love and I figure they are getting multiple servings of fruit and veggies there. Like I said, I try. I don't always feed my kids what is convenient and I'll be damned if my kids are ever considered obese while they are under my care. When they are old enough to make their own choices then it's on their head, but all I can do is try to teach them well for now. Anyway I've been doing a lot of reading on how anything that going on your skin, ends up in your body. I'm not writing down all my findings, but what I have found is disturbing. And what is typically in products we use for cleaning and moisturizing our skin is anything but good for us. When I began researching sunscreen I had red flags rising everywhere. So what did I do? I decided to make my own sunscreen. I searched for hours and hours until I found one that looked good to me. Since I was ordering the ingredients online I decided that while I was at it I may as well order the ingredients for a good body butter as well and what the heck, make a coffee scrub for my body. To order the first round of ingredients was pretty costly, but MUCH cheaper than spending over $20 for a mere 4oz of a natural sunscreen. Besides, I can make a lot of product out of this one shipment. It came in on Monday and since I had no plans I immediately got to work. I first made a batch of sunblock. I added peppermint essential oil since it has a natural spf. Problem was, I was on the phone while adding it and got a little carried away. I put it on Carson's skin and asked if he could feel it burning. He said a little so I put some on my forearm and could definitely feel a tingle. I didn't want to take chances so I figured that I'd just make another batch without peppermint oil, add it to the first batch and it would be perfect. I was right. It smells softly of peppermint and feels so nice on my skin. To test it out I put it on the boys just before they headed out to play on the slip and slide with friends for three hours. When they came home, and also that night I inspected them for any sign of sunburn. Guess what? No hint of burn whatsoever!!! I couldn't have been happier. I had melted beeswax to make it water resistant and apparently it did the job. While I'm not listing the recipe (although I will if anyone says they want it) I will list the ingredients. It has Shea butter, Coconut Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Beeswax, peppermint essential oil, zinc oxide (NOT nano particles though because that is dangerous) and pure aloe vera. After melting everything together I put in on the a/c vent to cool and whipped it occasionally. When it was all said and done it was the perfect consistency and it truly moisturizes our skin when we rub it on. I made more than enough to last the summer so I filled an 8oz jar and stored the rest in the fridge and I honestly could be happier.

My next project was a coffee body scrub. I read up on different types of body scrubs an decided coffee had the desired effect I was looking for. Plus the smell. Oh, I love the smell of coffee! I mixed coffee grounds with sweet almond oil, kosher salt, essential oils; grapefruit, orange and peppermint. Lovely. My legs still feel so soft after using it over 24 hours ago!

My last little project was a body butter. Both my boys, Landon especially, have bad skin, they have both suffered from eczema and I refuse to use a medicated cream on them since it is well known a person's skin will become dependent on these creams to keep them in check. My dad is an expert on this since he's had eczema forever. I've found that pure coconut has worked wonders, but it's super greasy and a little expensive to use pure, unrefined coconut oil everyday...although worth it if it helps. Truth be told I just don't like feeling like a walking grease ball after using it. So I whipped up some body butter. I used Shea butter, Almond oil. Coconut oil, essential oils; Lavender, Grapefruit, and Orange. I melted everything together then stuck it in the freezer to help solidify it. Once it began to solidify I put it in my Kitchen Aid and whipped it up. It made quite a bit of body butter (enough that I have a jar full in the fridge) It feels so decadent on my skin. It's so light and airy and melts like butter on my fingers. It leaves my skin feeling incredibly smooth. I couldn't afford to buy natural products like these so I'm thrilled I can make them for just a few dollars a piece and they are completely natural and healthy.


You know the best part about this? JOHN LOVES THE PRODUCTS I MADE!!!! He pretty much leaves the health of the kids to me and nods in agreement (and sometimes rolls his eyes) when I reveal my current findings. He about choked when I told him the cost of my supplies, but he loves the sunblock and body butter. He cannot tolerate the smell of coffee, but otherwise he is as excited as I am. It's fun to have someone to be excited with.

1 comment:

Diana said...

Oooh, I would love the recipe! Did you order all the ingredients online because it was easier, cheaper, or both? My kids have suffered from mild eczema as well, and I would love to find something that works. I haven't used the medicated stuff either, and I would love to find something that prevents that from ever happening!