Monday, January 7, 2013

Rock Climbing

So Carson is really into rock climbing and wants to try out for the competition team. I know he has a lot to learn before I let him try out, and I've got to come up with a way to pay for two kids in rock climbing every month. So for now he just takes classes at the rec center and he loves it, and loves the instructors. Unfortunately we showed up for class on Saturday and there were EIGHT other girls in his class. I was not happy. At most they usually have three or four, and it was frustrating since it was obvious only one other girl had any experience climbing, so these girls took FOREVER and a lot of coaxing to climb the wall. Call it pregnancy hormones but I was more upset than I should have been, and totally annoyed! I felt better when the instructor came over to me afterward just to tell me what a good climber Carson is and how glad they were to see him in the class since he knows what he's doing and they don't have to worry about him. It's always nice to hear positive things about your kids, especially when I wonder if I just think he's better than he really is.
John wants his boys in sports but they just aren't into them. They're like me. They'll play for fun but don't like playing competitively, and let's face it, they're just not great at sports. But it is obvious Carson has a passion for rock climbing, and John is realizing he needs to help Carson pursue what he loves...and what he's naturally good at. Not once during the entire class did Carson sit down and wait, he was up the whole time asking questions, pushing for his next turn, then when he realized he wouldn't get another turn he got permission to boulder with an 11 year old girl who goes to his school and has rock climbed before. So they took turns spotting each other and Carson had so much fun. (it helps that the girl was super cute and bubbly) Guess my temper just needs to cool it a bit. I'm just glad I didn't make a scene about too many kids being in the class like I was soooo tempted to do. Carson was the only kid with his own climbing shoes so they spent waaay too much time sizing the other girls for shoes. Ugh! Hopefully they bring their kids early next week to find shoes so they don't waste my kids time.
I want to put Carson in the youth climbing group just so he can climb with kids who are better than he is since I know he would learn a lot from them. Besides, all the other kids at school are obsessed with soccer and basketball and I want him to make friends who enjoy the same sport he does. Carson loves climbing and it's so great for his confidence and self esteem. I just see the sparkle in his eyes when he tells people he likes rock climbing and they tell him how cool it is. Now John (who is afraid of heights) wants to take up rock climbing just so he and Carson have something to do together. Very cool John.

 

No comments: