THE day, the day of our embryo transfer was not the day I had planned.
I had planned to help my mom out with a project, then we were going to bakery hop looking for the best desserts for my grandpa's 90th birthday. It was just going to be a fun day out with no kids and I was really looking forward to it. I was up at 5am worrying about my babies in the lab. I prettied myself up and was literally grabbing my sunglasses as I walked out the door when the nurse called.
I had two good quality embryos and 5 poor quality so they wanted to transfer today. She gave me instructions and told me to be there by 11:15 for an ultrasound to ensure the dreaded fluid had not returned. John ran down the stairs and I shook my head to let him know it wasn't good. It just wasn't what I was expecting. I was hoping that since we had so few eggs that they would be great quality and would grow strong until day five. You just never know.
I jumped in the shower and washed off my perfume and makeup...NOTHING smelly in the OR because the embies just don't react well. I changed into my "Infertility Sweatsuit" and tried to relax until it was time to leave.
We arrived and waited and waited. They did my ultrasound and there was NO FLUID! Yippee. Afterward we had a meeting with the doctor to discuss transfer and sign on the line. I popped a couple valium and I was ready to go! They brought me back to the operating area and had me change into the stylish gown then lead me to the OR. I laid down and the nurse did a quick ultrasound to see that my bladder was full. Nope. They brought me a water bottle and told me to chug it quickly. Oh the misery. Laying on the table totally exposed and having to pee. It. Was. Awful. The embryologist came in and gave us their first baby picture...sooo cute, my little babies. One is a good looking 8-cell embryo and other is a good looking 4-cell embryo which was a couple hours away from splitting into 8 cells. Our other embryos were 8-cell 6-cell 4-cell 2-cell. The embryologist said we were definitely transferring the two best and he was hopeful that a couple of the poor quality ones would come around by day 5.
The doctor did his thing, then we saw our tiny embryos on a screen and got to watch the embryologist in the lab, sucking my embabies into the catheter. We watched via ultrasound as the doctor inserted my babes into me and that was that. The embryologist checked the catheter to ensure there were no embabies left and we were good to go. I would've like to have laid there for awhile but I was about to pop. I got off the table, changed, and darted for the bathroom.
I spent the afternoon relaxing then we went to dinner with friends and did a little shopping. I spoiled myself and bought three new sweaters from Gap. My clothes are in such bad shape-I needed new clothes.
We both keep staring at the beautiful pictures of our babies and are praying they stick around for another 8.5 months or so. I'm so in love already.
No comments:
Post a Comment