Monday, May 6, 2013

Fertilization Update!

I have been waiting all morning for THE phone call. The phone call that tells me how my (hopefully) future babies are doing. Yeah, I know they aren't babies yet, they are nowhere near being babies...well, actually they aren't that far away but statistically the chances are slim that more than one will actually become a living, breathing, crying, eating, sleeping, pooping, baby. But oh how I dream.
Anyway when the phone rang I had it right next to me on the bed. I grabbed the phone and gripped it like my life depended on it. For three rings I stared at the caller ID, while my heart pounded, too scared to answer it. When I finally pushed 'talk' it was nurse Barbara...I really like nurse Barbara. Her voice didn't sound gloomy so I was expecting good news. She said that out of 11 eggs...

9 were mature
7 fertilized normally
2 did not fertilize at all

I was expecting/ hoping 6-7 eggs would fertilize because from what I've read/ heard, roughly 65% of eggs fertilize normally and from those about 50% make it to blast stage. Of course everyone is different, just statistically this is what I found. So with 7 embabies we are currently aiming for a 5 day transfer, although they will call me at day 3 to give me a report on quality. If they don't look so great we'll go ahead and transfer on day 3. I'm just so relieved. I had nightmares that none of them fertilized and we had to start all over. I'm really hoping for two blasts to freeze for an FET if the fresh doesn't work. Either way John and I are so relieved to receive more good news today.
Before my transfer they will do another ultrasound to ensure the fluid hasn't returned so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it stays away.
Just think...my next baby (or babies) could be in a lab growing in a dish at this very moment. Crazy. I can't wait to see a picture of them before transfer.
I am convinced that this whole process is a miracle. The fact that they can manipulate my body to do exactly what they need and to take microscopic eggs from me...Sperm from John...Put them together and have them turn in the blastocyst's in a lab, then transfer them back into me and result in a pregnancy. Wow. No less miraculous just because it didn't happen naturally. In fact, I believe my babies are little miracles simply because they can survive this process.
I am so excited to see my babies first picture before transfer!!!

No comments: