Monday, May 6, 2013

Egg Retrieval

Well I had my egg retrieval yesterday at 9:30 am. I took my trigger shot at exacatly 10:30pm Monday night. Tuesday I had to take a pregnancy test to make sure the trigger shot had be absorbed and let me tell you-it was not fun seeing two lines appear when I'm not actually pregnant. We arrived at the clinic around 8:30 for John's portion of the IVF process. They brought me back at 9:00 to discuss the procedure with me. My doctor said I had 8 mature follicles so he predicted he'd get 6-7 eggs, but hopes for more. We made it a point to ask about the fluid and he said he'd check on it during ER.
Afterward they sent John to the waiting room and brought me in to change into my gown, booties and cap...so cute! In the "OR" the nurse had me lay on the table and covered me with three blankets. She also commented on how sad my arms looked from all the blood draws. She actually seemed surprised to see them so bruised. Oh well, it's all for a good cause. She started my IV then the embryologist came in a asked a few questions to verify I was, in fact, Annalisa. Then the anesthesiologist came in, also to verify I am who I am. Then my doctor and another nurse came in. Yeah, we had a full room. One thing that left an impression on me; was on one side of the room was a door to the lab. On the other side was a door out of the OR. At one point the embryologist was holding the lab door cracked and my doctor was trying to enter through the other door, but when one door is open the other door absolutely cannot open. It's just to keep the right pressure, temp, and sterilization. I tried to remember everything but as soon as the embryologist injected the meds into my IV my head started to spin and the last thing I remember is putting my hand to my forehead and saying "Whoa." Then I was out. Next thing I woke up in my little recovery room, sectioned off by a curtain. It was surreal because one moment I was watching everyone doing their thing to prep me for retrieval and next thing I know I'm waking up and it's all over. Kind of strange to think of what went on when I was sleeping! Very cool. I wish I could have my own anesthesiologist come to my house and put me out whenever I so desired.
Before the procedure John and I watched the woman before me come out of recovery in a wheel chair. She looked awful! John told me not to look. I smiled and told him that would not be me. He didn't seem to believe me. I told him that as soon as I started to come around I could pull myself out of it. I can force myself awake. He seemed unsure, but sure enough; As soon as I faintly heard my nurse bringing John to me I woke myself up and was completely aware of what was going on. Other than being a little groggy I felt great.
One thing I vaguely remember is my blood pressure alarm going off. I asked John about this and he said it had gone off because the monitor would fall off my finger. No biggie, just something I want to remember.
My nurse said I had been under anesthesia for exactly 29 minutes, which was a little longer than I expected to be out. She then said they had retrieved 11 eggs and would call me the next day to report how many were retrieved and how many had fertilized. After about twenty minutes or so (and a juice box) I got dressed and walked out of there. I spent the rest of the day in bed napping and watching t.v. I had some abdominal pain, but it really isn't as bad as I was expecting. Now I'm just waiting for that phone call, hoping my little eggs are now growing into embryos.
I need to quit thinking of those embryos as my future babies, because I have the urge to drive up to the lab, and gather all my "babies" together and bring them home to cuddle them and help them grow.
GROW BABIES, GROW!

No comments: