Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Builder of the Month!

***WARNING*** I do some bragging in this post, but it's not to say "My kid is better than your kid" but because in thirty years my boys will read through the blog books I've had printed and I want them to understand exactly how I'm feeling at this moment. I know they'll understand because they'll have kids of their own and will be able to relate to how proud I feel at this very moment.
I want them to understand the times I'm frustrated with them, the times I feel like I'm doing a lousy job as their mom, the times I have so much fun just being with them,  as well as the times I'm so proud I can hardly contain myself. So read this with the mindset that this is for us, my boys and their future families. After all, the experiences I put in this blog have all helped to shape the men they will become.

Let me start at the beginning. For the first time ever, Landon had to move a card last week. The story is that a boy went to kick Landon's shoe but missed and kicked his leg. Now Landon is not a trouble maker by any means, but he will not be bullied, so he kicked this kid right back. "Mom, I think I kicked him a lot harder than he kicked me. But we played at recess and had a great time together." He asked if I was mad and I told him I wasn't since I knew he wasn't trying to cause trouble and it was his first time ever moving a card.
He then told me his teacher would be calling me. I have to admit that I was pretty annoyed at her overreaction of this minor incident. If it happened multiple times I would understand, but this was his first offense. She did call a couple days later, but it was not what I was expecting. His teacher told me she was giving him Builder of the Month. She explained that Landon was doing so well in class. He was well-behaved, enthusiastic, and would sit in learning position even when the other kids were antsy and ready to leave for the day. (Fingers laced together, arms flat on the desk, sitting up straight and eyes on the teacher) She made it clear that it is a big deal and John and I should both be there. After the shock wore off and I picked my jaw up off the floor I was ecstatic! MY child was getting an award for being so well behaved. My LANDON, who has a hard time sitting still and keeping his mouth shut was getting an award. This WAS a big deal.
For a little background, the school doesn't have a mascot. They are the builders. They teach positive attributes and believe in building up themselves and others. The school uses positive reinforcement and only after that doesn't work will the kids pull cards or whatnot. Their school song has one line that I love "We can wreck in a day or two what takes builders years to do." I love their focus on being happy and positive, I can see how much happier the boys are when I pick them up everyday since they don't have adults nitpicking every little thing they do wrong. So in a nutshell, this is where the Builder of the Month comes from.
Since it was a surprise we told the boys we were coming to their assembly just to see them. Unfortunately they divided the grades up to save on time. K-3 in the multipurpose room and  4-6 in the gym. So Carson wasn't able to see Landon get his award, but I sneaked into the gym and explained to Carson why we had come and and why he wouldn't see us during his assembly.
We love this school, we love the positive reinforcement they use to help the kids learn appropriate behavior. It's amazing what the kids will do when they are loud and talking and a teacher thanks them for sitting in straight lines and sitting so quietly. These kids want to deserve the praise they receive and their behavior falls right in line.
John and I both got a little choked up this morning. The school all meets together and says the pledge, but afterward they sing the first AND fourth verses of the Star Spangled Banner. It was an experience to sing along with these kids and have all the adults fall silent while the kids continued on with the fourth verse that we had never been taught. To hear the kids clearly emphasize "And this be our motto: In God is our trust" was wonderful. This school oozes patriotism and it's touching to hear these words come out of so many little mouths with so much enthusiasm.
When they called Landon's name he didn't stand up right away. They actually had to say it again because he was so surprised to hear his name. I loved it! They gave him a certificate and an APA Builder pin to wear on his uniform. He was so happy and it will make him feel special every day when he wears it to school. We were as proud as we've ever been and it was so great to have his teacher recognize what a neat kid he is. As his parent's we see his sweet, gentle side, but most others don't get to see it since kids have a different personality outside of the family.
His certificate said this:
Landon joined our class a couple weeks into the school year. Since joining our class, he has lifted our class's enthusiasm 100%! He sits in learning position with a smile on his face. As he listens in class, he works hard to pay attention and answer all the questions with a very enthusiastic reply! He is kind to others and has an energy about him that helps others to gain that same enthusiasm! Landon is a ROCK STAR!!!
We told Landon he could choose anywhere he wants to eat out tonight and guess where he chose? Burger King. (yuck!) I'll see if I promise to take him there next week during Fall Break if he'll choose a decent restaurant tonight.  We'll see, but whatever Landon wants tonight, Landon gets. We couldn't be prouder.
Yesterday Landon brought home two study guides for upcoming tests in science and history. I looked them over and thought, 'Oh brother, we'll be at this awhile' but Landon was amazing and knew all the answers. He can easily list off the seven continents without skipping a beat, list the oceans, tell you what nomads are, tell you what two continents the first people on earth lived on, explain all about the ocean, currents, tides, gulf stream, and so much more. I. Was. Shocked! He's such a bright kid and is doing so well with homework, reading and cursive. I had no idea he was capable of retaining this type of information, but then again he's never has the opportunity to show me what he's capable of since he's only in first grade and has never really learned in depth about science and history. (let's just hope he tests well) His knack for numbers is crazy. The other morning we had a conversation.

L: Mom, so is it like forty miles to school so you drive eighty miles by the time you drop us off?
M: No, it's about 6.5 miles.
L: (without pausing or skipping a beat) Oh, so it's 13 miles after you drop us off.

Monday night he couldn't sleep. After 1.5 hours I went in and pulled him over to me. I hugged him and asked if he had such a hard time sleeping because his mind would go crazy and he would think about so many things once he lay down. He told me he was always thinking and always had a hard time falling asleep. (which is true)
Well, a few minutes later John was walking by his room and he said "Dad two years is 730 days" John paused and added it up in his head and said. "You're right Landon."
Landon has always been a thinker and has always been bright and it's wonderful to see what he's capable when he's really challenged at school. I am so excited for him to have a teacher who recognizes how great he his and can bring out the best in Landon.
Unfortunately after this I've lost all credibility with John and there is no way he'll let me pull the kids out of this school. It's all for the best since the positive changes in both Carson and Landon has been pretty incredible.






1 comment:

Stephanie Williams said...

That made me tear up a little too! Congratulations Landon!! That is so wonderful! That school sounds amazing and I am glad the boys are enjoying it so much and growing from it!!