Thursday, October 10, 2013

Cloth Diapering System

When researching cloth diapers I was always curious on how everyone did it and what their setup was. After countless hours searching, reading, talking to other cloth diapering mom's, I finally came up with a system that I love. It makes cloth diapering so easy. This is for my memory, as well as a place to refer other curious mom's who are interested in cloth diapering.
When we have a poopy diaper, the diaper as well as the wipes go into the tub, which is kept on the top shelf of Jameson's changer.
I made my own wipes using bamboo velour on one side and bamboo/hemp french terry on the other. Every couple days I put fresh wipes in the case. I mix a two cups of hot water with a generous squirt of California Baby and two drops Tea Tree Oil then pour it over the wipes.

One of the best investments I made for cloth diapering is a Spray Pal. (thanks to John)
I take the tub with the dirty diaper and wipes into the bathroom where I clip the diaper into my Spray Pal and snap it around the diaper.
Because the Spray Pal contains all the mess and splatters I can turn my sprayer up full force and blast all the nastiness off the diaper and wipes.
Using the SP I squeeze the excess water out of the diaper and using the pink tub to avoid dripping on the carpet, I bring it into Jameson's room and unclip it right into the diaper pail which is lined with a pro care pail liner. (Notice how I didn't get any poop on my hands?)

Every third night I pull the liner out of the pail, replace it with a clean one, and bring the dirty diapers down to the laundry room. I turn the bag upside down and dump them into the washer then turn the pail liner inside-out and toss it in as well.
I do a pre-wash, heavy cycle (hot), extra wash, extra rinse, with silver care to kill the bacteria, and two TBSP Tide. Every couple of washes I run it through an extra quick wash with no detergent in the morning to combat detergent build up, which leads to repelling and stinky dipes. (Haven't noticed any change on my water bill since it is an HE machine.)  After the wash I separate the shells, covers, wetbags and pail liner and throw the inserts, prefolds, and all in one's into the dryer.
When the cycle is finished I throw in the separated items on med-low for 20-30 minutes or else hang them over the backs of chairs to dry. Any stains can be sunned out, but since I spray everything off so well I've never had a problem with staining.


The pretty colors tumbling in the dryer.

Once they are clean and dry I separate everything on my bed, then assemble them together and put them away. As much as I dislike doing laundry, there is something therapeutic about clean diaper laundry.

Our current dipes in rotation. It was sad to put away all the cute newborn diapers. I honestly do not know what I would do without this wonderful shelf. Diapering would not be nearly as convenient since I couldn't keep them all within arms reach at changing time.

Extra prefolds, wipes, inserts and doublers.
The reason why I cloth diaper.
After more than three months of cloth diapering I have found my favorite diapers...good old fashioned unbleached indian prefolds! I could have saved myself so much money if I had known this ahead of time. They are so absorbent and wash up so well! I don't necessarily like that he can feel the wetness, but apparently kid's who feel wetness potty train earlier. I do love my pocket diapers and all in one's, but my favorite is to tri-fold a prefold in a flip cover. So easy and I've never had a leak this way. The pocket diapers are my favorite for nighttime or anytime he'll be in a diaper more than a couple hours since he can't feel the wetness. At night I stuff them with a prefold wrapped around a microfiber or hemp doubler and unless I wait too long to change him in the morning I don't have a problem with leaks. The aio's are my favorite to leave with John or grandma...I call them my dummy dipes since they are the closest to disposables, you just don't throw them away after use.
Cloth diapers are much easier than anyone thinks, and I never have to touch poop. In fact we don't have any blow outs with cloth so I actually wash less clothes and bedding this way. I initially planned to use cloth for environmental reasons, but once I began learning about the chemicals in disposables my mind was made up. I honestly believe more mom's would choose cloth if they knew how easy  it is.

No comments: