For the past several years I have not enjoyed Christmas. It has actually become a holiday I dread. In the past Christmas was one of my favorite holidays, not for the gifts, but just for the happy festive season. I love the parties, food, family, and food food food. It's made me sad that the past few years have been more stressful than anything. The stress is 100% financial. It's expensive buying gifts for everyone and since I never have enough cash to pay for everything up front I charge gifts to the credit card. Since we have never ever carried a balance on our card, I have to make sure I have the money available to pay it off come January. If it were up to me we'd get rid of gifts and make it more about family. Of course, most people don't share my feelings, so every year I try to find just the right gifts for everyone. I love to make gifts, but not everyone likes or appreciates homemade, so the dollars start flying out of my bank account and I jump from store to store, or internet site to internet site.
This year I am determined to enjoy Christmas like I used to, so I began buying presents weeks ago. And guess what? I'm almost done. The boys will each get a new Razor scooter, RC helicopter and two other small gifts as well as stocking stuffers. Everything is locked into the bottom drawer of my filing cabinet since my house has zero storage space. Their second-hand thrift store scooters have served us well, but now that they both love riding so much I've decided to replace them. I've already decided next Christmas will be new bikes since they are both outgrowing their current bikes.
I'm most excited for John. It has been years since I've bought him a gift I am truly excited about. Knowing I'm giving the perfect present definitely adds to my enjoyment of the season. I found a helmet autographed by his all time favorite Chiefs player Christian Okoye. Add to that the Chiefs sunglasses, utility gloves, and picture frame for his autographed cards and he should have a happy morning! I'm even clearing a wall shelf in the family room to display his Chiefs treasures.
I've already bought for my nephews and niece, as well as my mom. So aside from John's parents, a few small gifts and stocking stuffers, I'm just about there! I'm really hoping to bring the joy back into the season and eliminate financial stress and I'm well on my way. I want to bring back the relaxed, fun atmosphere where my only responsibility is baking.
I was put in charge of the church Christmas party again, but really, I'm not super stressed about it. At least they gave me more than a few weeks notice this year. I'm actually excited about it since it's right up my alley. I'm just mulling over who I want to help and what we should serve.
I feel more relaxed already. Halloween and then my favorite holiday THANKSGIVING, then a nice calm Christmas season. Ahhh.
No comments:
Post a Comment