Saturday, November 2, 2013

Homemade Baby Food ***WARNING: GRAPHIC***

You know how sometimes you do something so stupid you can't believe you were so careless? Well, that was me today.
A little backstory; I mentioned earlier I had planned to make Jameson's baby food. We're trying to feed him as much organic baby food as possible. I've learned that even though store bought says organic there are still ingredients I prefer not to put into that little body, not to mention it is pricey.
So I used a gift card and purchased 12 perfect little 2oz glass containers to put his food in. 
This morning I had an avocado in the fridge and decided why not? I knew Jameson did great with pears, and had read that avocado was the perfect stage 1 food. Soooo, I pulled out my immersion blender to cream it up. Well, avocado was packed in the blade so I used my finger to unclog it. Not a big deal as long as it is unplugged, or at the very least your other hand is off the trigger. That blade spun around and sliced right into my finger. I immediately grabbed my finger and proclaimed "I can't believe I did something so stupid a$$ed!" John was two feet away assembling the high chair and he thought I was joking...until he saw my scrunched up face bent over the sink and blood dripping from my hand. He insisted on looking at it but it took me a minute to gather up the courage to look because it HURT and I knew it wouldn't be pretty. We couldn't decide if it needed stitches so John wrapped it in gauze and I put pressure on it for a few minutes to slow the bleeding. I finally got a good look at it between gushes of blood and decided it could probably benefit from a stitch or two but that it would be fine without. So I cleaned it and wrapped it back up. 
John did surprisingly well considering he typically can't handle blood. Thankfully about twenty minutes prior to the incident I had taken a Percocet for back pain and when it finally kicked in my pain level dropped dramatically.  It's been bleeding all day and the tip of my finger is numb, but I'm happy because it could have been soooo much worse.                    
                      
 
Anyway, after the fiasco we headed to Trader Joe's where we bought organic peas, butternut squash, pears and bananas. I'm holding off on the peas for a week or two, but I mashed up the bananas...and I don't know what it is, but they had the most incredible flavor I've ever tasted in a banana. Jameson will love it! I gave him bananas for breakfast today and he was thrilled and these are even tastier.
I also cooked up and puréed the squash and it is so creamy and yummy...and I have a ton of it in the freezer.
I also bought a couple pears, but I'll work on those tomorrow.
I spent $6 on organic produce and have so much baby food to show for it...why didn't I do this with my other kids? I feel so much more on top of this mothering thing my third time around. Wish I could've started with the third and worked my way back. When Carson was a baby I (for the most part) naively believed that if something was marketed for a baby it had to be safe and healthy. Sadly I was so wrong. I actually wonder if he'd have an easier time concentrating if I'd been pickier with what went in his body. Who knows?! But I figure now that I know better I must do better.
 It's kind of silly, but I look at all this baby food and feel so fulfilled. Kinda the same feeling I get when I look at our clean cloth diapers, or see ten little uniforms hung in the closet, perfectly organized and assembled, just waiting to be worn.
Maybe I need to find a hobby since I probably shouldn't feel so much joy with being organized. Yeah, definitely need a hobby. Definitely.
                      

No comments: