June 5-8 we pulled the trailer up to Starvation Reservoir. Our camping spot was gorgeous, we had shade trees and were right on the beach overlooking perfectly clear water. Even though the water was cold...like ice water, the boys did plenty of swimming. On Saturday they swam/ raced out to the dock, but it was so cold that Landon didn't want to swim back. He stood out there crying for awhile until we sent Carson out to swim back with him. As soon as I dove under the water a little while later I completely understood because it was colder than cold. Like running barefoot through the snow cold.
On Friday night John's parents drove over from Fruitland to have ribs with us. The ribs were awesome and had so much flavor. I also made (burned) some dutch oven rolls, and Holly brought shrimp salad (John's favorite). It was windy and everything was blowing away, but it was windy every afternoon. John loved having his parents there, especially since having them all to himself is a rarity. Holly always bounces the grand kids on her foot and I'm so glad we got a picture of it, especially since J was so happy.
In the spot next to us were a retired couple from Oregon who take a month or two every summer and travel around the US. They were so friendly and one afternoon taught the boys a Domino game. We talked with them quite a bit, and swam with the wife while she did her exercises. I noticed them watching us quite a bit while we played with the boys (I hate being watched) and before they left he told John he watched us with the boys and was impressed with how we interacted with the boys and what great parents we are. ( little does he know ;) I certainly wouldn't call us above average, but we try our best and love spending time as a family.
Jameson's masto takes a lot out of him when he's in the sun so he slept more than normal. Saturday afternoon while he slept I pulled a chair out to the beach and read for hours- something I haven't done since J was born.
The boys had the most fun in the kayak. In fact we may go back for 5 days in July and I'll have to find a substitute since it won't be available. Carson's actually great at paddling around and he was dying to take baby J out, but had to settle for pulling him around in the shallow.
We were only there for three nights, but by the end it felt like we'd had a real vacation. Definitely have to do it again. Besides, with baby J it's good to have electrical outlets to cool him off if necessary.




















No comments:
Post a Comment