Friday, April 3, 2015

Zion's March 2015

March 18 we packed up out trailer (actually I had been packing and organizing for over a week) and headed down to Zion's. We were hoping to go in April, but I didn't book early enough. Didn't matter though since it was warm and beautiful. The mornings were cold but by midday we would shed our top layers. It was so nice to feel the warm sun as we hiked.
Day 1 we hopped on the shuttle in late morning, Baby J fell asleep so we stayed on and rode from stop to stop for awhile. When he woke up we hopped off and walked up to Weeping Rock. Since that was a walk and not a hike, we hopped back on the shuttle and rode down to the Emerald Pools trail. It was so crazy busy since apparently it was spring break for many college's. Oh well, at least the shuttles were running so there were no parking issues.
That night we had baked beans and rolls in the dutch oven with our friends Katie and Kurt. Our friends Scott and Jess showed up earlier than expected and it became a real party The kids were everywhere and had so much fun.
Day 2 we hiked Hidden Canyon. This is my favorite hike in the park. So gorgeous, and adventurous enough for the kids so they don't get bored. After the hike we stopped at the Lodge for Coke and ice cream. Did I mention how great the sun felt?
That night we took the kids down to the river for a swim then had a simple breakfast for dinner, and my parents came rolling in around 7:30.
Day 3 My dad, Preston, John, Jameson and myself decided to run to the top of Zion's. Somewhere around mile 5ish the stroller tire blew (imagine that, eleven years of use and it finally went), so John convinced me to keep running while he and baby J hopped on a shuttle back down. The run was absolutely gorgeous, and I think is about the prettiest and most enjoyable run I've ever done. We ended up with 13 miles and still had plenty of energy to hike. My parent's had never hiked hidden canyon so we headed back up for their sake, stopping a the Lodge beforehand for some yummy burgers. It was just as much fun the second day...but I think it'll be a couple years before we do it again.
That evening Preston took the boys for a swim while I fixed THREE racks of ribs and more rolls for everyone. I think I finally have this rib-thing down since they were so tasty.
On Saturday night we were sitting by the fire and decided we need another day. We always go down on Thursday which never feels like enough time, so this time we headed down on Wednesday and it still wasn't enough time. Carson says we need to take two weeks and do every hike in the park. Not a bad idea Carson, not bad at all.


No comments: