Friday, May 18, 2012

Mother's Day

I love Mother's Day. Always have. John has always done his best to make it special, but I don't have high expectations either. Sometimes he buys me expensive gifts, makes me a huge breakfast, then single handedly takes care of the kids while I focus on myself and what I want to do. This year I asked him not to buy me anything since he just bought me the ipad 3 when it came out, and I also requested a small bowl of cereal since the night before we had gone out for a fatty meal with our friend who was moving. So in the morning I woke up early-anything past 6:30 is sleeping in nowadays, I turned on the t.v. and relaxed, knowing John had the day planned for me. He eventually woke up, gave me a kiss and sleepily said "happy Mother's Day", then he rolled out of bed and brought me up a small bowl of granola. The boys brought me their gifts, my favorite! Landon had made a hand painted wooden bead necklace in school which I wore proudly, and Carson gave me one of those "Mother I love you because..." papers. I love gifts from my boys!

I was hoping to skip church but John talked me into going for the first hour to hear the boys sing. So we all got up and ready, made it to church on time and guess what? THE KIDS DIDN'T SING! So why was I here? I'd rather be in bed lazily reading my Kindle. I'd complain more about the kids not singing, but I'm just glad I'm not in primary so I'll keep my big mouth shut.

After the first hour we came home where I made Carmel Brownies for dinner later in the day. John then ushered us into the car and we took off for the day. John and the boys had planned our excursion and the boys were bouncing up and down with excitement. Landon had dropped hints that they had gone to the sports store, after which John and Carson both scolded him...this happened repeatedly between Saturday evening and Sunday morning. John drove up the canyon and pulled into a parking lot. He announced we were going hiking-yay!!! I was thinking how much fun it would be to hike in my flip flops, when John opened the back and pulled out socks and hiking shoes for all of us. We began our hike and not long into the hike Carson sat down on the trail and proclaimed he was tired. I told him to suck it up and keep moving. We found a gorgeous waterfall and stepped off the trail, where the boys sat down and whined about how hungry they were. Next thing you know, John takes off and reaches behind a big tree and pulls out a cooler filled with Lunchables and Root Beer. They had planned everything. Saturday night John and the boys had driven up the canyon at 9pm, hiked up the trail with no flashlight and hid the cooler. They then planned that Landon would give false hints that they had gone to the sports store and Carson was instructed to complain about how tired and hungry he was. It was adorable. We ate up, snapped a few pictures and then continued hiking for another FOUR HOURS!!! We had no idea it would take so long and I had some nasty blisters since John had packed me the wrong socks, plus I felt so frumpy and hot hiking in a real shirt and long shorts, but all in all it was a fantastic Mother's Day. You know what the best part was? That John didn't spend a lot, but carefully planned something he knew would genuinely make me happy. I have the best boys!

At 4:30 we walked over the park to meet up with family for a potluck. We do this so that no one has to have it at their home and be responsible for a mess. NOT fun to be cleaning on Mother's Day. Before everyone took off we got some sibling pics with my mom. I feel like a chubby Barbie with the way my hair was done, but I had bad acne on my forehead and it had to remain hidden. At least I have a lot of hair and the option of hiding it. What a wonderful day!












No comments: