Monday, April 22, 2013

Boys Update

It's been awhile since I did an update on how the boys are doing so here goes. The past few weeks have been terribly rough for them. First my grandpa's wife died so they both went to their first funeral and saw their first dead body, which was fascinating to them. On the way home we drove past the cemetery and when they looked over and saw the casket was already in the ground, well, I think this is where they really started having a hard time. The next couple nights one or both of them would randomly cry and we'd have to talk about death and wow, it bothered them more than I thought it would. Landon still asks me questions. The other day he asked if I would put all his pictures in the dirt room if he died. Then he told me he was scared I would die when I had Jameson....and this is only the beginning. I'm to the point where I'm answering the same questions over and over. Poor boys.
Next Sunny ran away 2.5 weeks ago. Landon fed her and left her kennel door open. She's not one to run away, but I think when we didn't come out she just kind of wandered down the street. Her tags were literally sitting next to my sink since they were about to break and we were going to have new ones made. Our neighbors didn't realize she was ours and called animal services. Let's just say, without getting into detail that there was a lot of dishonesty on their part. They would not admit to having her AT ALL until we told them we KNEW she had been picked up on this day, at this time, at this address and that we wanted to speak with the officer who picked her up to find out why she never made it to the kennel. It was at this point that they even admitted to having picked her up at all. They then told us she had been adopted out. Well, we spoke with the woman who manages the kennels and she said she saw every dog that came through and NO white lab with a pink collar had come through. She was certain. So like I said without giving all the little details, there was much dishonesty and we are sure that someone connected to animal services was looking for a trained lab and she was simply given to them, especially since animal services had no record of her, other than her being picked up-to which they didn't want to admit to. After speaking with our neighbor who has two time champion pedigree labs and had a very similar experience with animal services recently...except after fighting them he did get his dog back, (who was chipped and wearing tags, but in this case that made no difference) that we know there is something fishy going on there. Oh well, nothing we can do and I don't want the stress of fighting them on it. It's just the dishonesty part that makes my blood boil. I was very clear from the day we got Sunny that I would not get another dog if something happened, and unfortunately I'm sticking by that. I'm just not an animal lover.
Anyway, the boys had a hard time with her being gone, and so to find out she was with another family broke their hearts. Carson told me he keeps picturing her face wondering where she is and why aren't we coming to get her. Ouch.
To soften the blow we went out Saturday and bought them a mini aquarium, two fish and a frog. John went all out. I planned to spend ten bucks on a bowl and some goldfish. John just kept grabbing more and more stuff and $50 later the boys have a little 2.5 gallon tank that they are thrilled with. In fact after we were home and had it set up (and I had taken the pictures below) John decided to take the boys on an outing. Forty-five minutes later they walk in the door with more accessories for the aquarium. Okaaay. They check on their fish constantly and love to just sit and watch them. It fits perfectly on my china cabinet so at least it's not in the way. Actually, I think John is just as excited for the fish as the boys are since I constantly catch him sitting in a chair just watching the fish. Having grown up with a HUGE salt water aquarium filled with coral and tropical fish, I just don't get too excited by these little things. It has helped cheer the boys up and for that, it is worth it.
Lastly is baby Jameson. Carson worries about me being in pain, and Landon worries about me dying. I think it weighs on their minds more than they'll admit. Don't get me wrong, the boys are both so excited, but it's a big life change. It's been the four of us for so long and now that the boys are older we have so much freedom, but they realize everything will be changing. They are more emotional and are arguing more than normal and have a hard time focusing in class. In fact I had a nice chat with Carson's teacher a couple weeks ago. He now sits front and center in class. Poor kid already struggles with math and at this point I'm just hoping I can accomplish a lot over the summer with him. I struggled with math, so I understand where he's coming from. Carson thinks he gets it, does great on homework, but just doesn't test well. Problem is they move from one topic to the next so fast he just doesn't have time to master it. But like I said I'll work with him over the summer and even start on fourth grade math to hopefully have more success next year. Carson needs his surroundings completely quiet and distraction free, which just doesn't happen in school, although his teacher is trying to find a solution.
Landon does well in school, but gets bored so easily. He'd rather draw or talk to his friends. His mind hasn't slowed down since he could talk and is constantly thinking and asking questions I couldn't possibly know the answers to. He loves facts and when something sparks his interest I hear everything he's learned. Sometimes I even jump online to double check what he's told me and he's always correct.
I love my one on one time with Landon, especially our walks home from school, since I know I'll miss them next year. I only wish I had more one on one time with Carson.
We've taken away t.v. and video games. Not as a punishment, but because we're trying everything we can to help them focus. They have spent more time using their imaginations and are outside constantly. It is definitely a good thing.
To cut my rambling short; lately I get so frustrated with both of them, but I just try to remember that they've been through a lot this past month and hug them just a bit longer.
Carson is learning to cook and he loves it. Reminds me of myself at his age. Tuesday John and I had to be to the church and I didn't have time to make dinner, so Carson grabbed out the raw tortillas, cooked them on the griddle, spread beans and cheese on each one and they had bean and cheese burritos. He loves it, and I love the help he gives me.

Being a mom to boys can be frustrating, but I truly love it. They are stinkers, and can be so disgusting, but are so sweet at the same time. They can get in a fight and be laughing and playing together five minutes later. I love seeing their sensitive side when they run to help without being asked, or want to cuddle and tell me how beautiful I am. Times like that I get a glimpse of the men they have the potential to become and it makes me feel like maybe I'm not doing such a bad job raising them after all.



1 comment:

Stephanie Williams said...

That is crazy about Sunny. I can't believe that! Sounds like it has been a hard month. The fish look cool! Tristan and Lore want some, but I am enjoying being pet free for a time! Tell everyone we said hi!