You know how there are days where at the end of the day you just know you sucked as a mother? Well Saturday was one of those days for me. It began Saturday morning when John and I decided to run with the club. We had taken Jameson out running in cold weather when he was much younger, so we knew he would be fine. We packed up the jogger, his Bunting, and his heavy blanket-thinking that he would be plenty warm. I bundled him up in layers and brought a plastic shield to put over the stroller to insulate him. Well, we arrived at Liberty Park just as the rest of the club was leaving. We jumped out of the car, put the bunting in the stroller, threw Jameson in and realized he was much too big for the straps. The straps are not easy to adjust so I finally gave up, threw the bunting back in the car, put his heavy blanket over him, put on his hat and gloves, secured the shield over him, and took off to catch the rest of the club.
Several miles down the road Jameson began to fuss. I handed him a cookie and figured he would be just fine. Well, he kept fussing. After a few more miles I realized we had lost his cute little owl hat so John offered to go back and find it, then run up to the park, get the car and come pick us up. About a mile after we separated I realized I had the keys so John would not be coming for us. At this point I realized Jameson was crying because he was cold. He did need the bunting to insulate his little legs after all. I grabbed our extra jackets out of the bottom of the stroller that we had peeled off earlier and tucked those in around him. Finally he fell asleep. However, I was worried about him sleeping while he was so cold so I was constantly checking on him. Between pushing a stroller and checking on the baby I fell way behind the rest of the club. I was doing my best to get back to the park so I could get baby J warmed up. Suddenly I heard footsteps running behind me...no, sprinting behind me! I thought either somebody is going to rob me or this is John! I felt a hand grab my behind and when I turned around, I was so happy to see my John. He had booked it in order to catch me so he was dead tired. We trudged the rest of the way back to the park together and quickly handed Jameson some treats to make up for making him so cold. We stuck him in the car and rushed home in order to make it to rockclimbing on time.
John and I literally ran in the house, jumped in the shower, threw some clothes on, rushed the boys to the car and sped off to climbing. We didn't have time to change Jameson so figured we would change him while watching the boys. Well, we forgot. After rockclimbing when we went to put baby J back in the car he was soaked...and I mean soaked! Bad mommy moment number 3. We stripped off his pants, and had him hang out in a diaper.
The boys were starving, so we figured we would grab some burgers for them. The drive through line was so slow and when we finally got our food we realized we didn't order anything for baby J so we told the boys to break off pieces to share with him. I still had shopping to do and we were stopping by to see our friends new baby so we had no plans to go home anytime soon. Bad mommy moment number three. At what point do they decide maybe you shouldn't be allowed to be a mom that day?
We've decided to give running another go tomorrow, however I've become smarter. Two days ago I brought the baby jogger inside so I could reconfigure the straps as well as make sure baby J still fits in the Bunting. Well, he has definitely outgrown the Bunting. I know they aren't super expensive, but I just didn't want to spend the money on one. Yesterday I woke up, went downstairs and begin sorting through my fabric scraps. I have tons of soft fleece I was saving for just the right project. This was it! I also had some scraps of minky that were large enough to use. For the backing I did one layer of fleece and one layer of soft minky. For the top I did two layers of fleece and one layer of blue leopard print minky. Not my first choice but it actually looks pretty cute. 3.5 hours later it was done and I was feeling pretty proud of myself. This should be warmer than the other bunting which only had one layer of fleece. So I think as long as I dress him warm enough and use an extra blanket or two along with the shield he should be toasty warm tomorrow morning. He's so cute and I love having him out on the run with us...the other runners love it as well. Too bad the older boys can't come along. They are at the age where they practically beg us to leave....can't wait for them to become teenagers. *eyeroll*

No comments:
Post a Comment